Care and Maintenance of Your Washing Machine
Here are some money saving tips that will extend the life of your washing machine and lower the cost of energy! To reduce the need of appliance repairs, use the following preventative measures. Proper maintenance and care is essential in keeping your washing machine running efficiently. Improper care will cause your unit to overwork by using more electricity to keep you clothes clean than if properly maintained. By following these tips, you can prolong the life of your washing machine and avoid many costly appliance repairs.
- Make sure that the washing machine’s feet are level to prevent an imbalance in the machine that may cause loud noises and added wear and tear on the unit.
- Make sure water faucets are in good condition. Connect to faucets carefully; improperly connecting to the faucets can cause major water damage to the home. Turning faucets on and off before and after you wash can extend the life of your hoses. This also prevents hard water buildup.
- Rubber Hoses, over time, get worn out, brittle and leak. It is recommended that hoses be replaced every 5-7 years.
- Check to ensure drain hoses are not impeded from draining. Remove kinks and other stoppages. Improper draining may cause the pump to overheat and burn out.
- If your washing machine has a lint filter, remove and clean regularly to prevent clogs.
- Do not overload with clothes because the added pressure on the hoses can cause them to burst.
- Use the proper amount of detergent (see detergent box instructions) for your washer and water hardness. Don't use too much detergent because too many soap suds will cause the washing machine to work harder and use extra energy. Detergent dissolves in water temperature over 55 degrees F.
- Save money and energy by washing in warm water. Washing clothes in hot water uses twice as much energy as washing in warm water.
- Presoaking is recommended for soiled items while shorter cycles are recommended for delicate items.
- Washing one large load is more efficient than washing two smaller loads.
- Washing small loads with a large water level will prevent proper cleaning because there is reduced agitation.
- Check that the spin cycle is spinning properly because putting wet clothes in the dryer will use more energy in the dryer.
- Check belts regularly to see if they need replacement. Worn or stretched belts will cause the washing machine to work harder.
By following these tips, you can prolong the life of your washing machine and avoid many costly repairs.
"Reliable knows what they are doing. I had another company come out to try and fix my HE washer. The other company ordered part upon part and could not fix it. I gave up on them and decided to try to another company. The man came out and knew exactly what was wrong. He ordered the part for me it came in the next day and he was back out and now I have a working washer. Your technicians know their appliances. Great Job!!!!"